[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 22:03:03 BST 2008

It makes better sense to use the circumflex consistently for
unpredictably long vowels. This is already the established practice in
Lhuyd, some of the other LC writers, Jenner, and modern Welsh. I would
suggest, however, that a different diacritic be used for /Q:/, since
we're not talking here about unpredictable length but a different
vowel quality. <å> seems like a natural (the more so as the ring
recalls <ao> and <oa>, which we find in certain texts).

It is not necessary to use a diacritic to mark the <ew>/<ow>
alternation. (1) <ew> could be used across the board as an umbrella
graph. Or (2) <ew> could at least be maintained before vowels (this
applies especially to the words 'clewes' and 'kewar', in which any
prevocalic <ow> would not indicate /u:/).

Oll an gwelha,
~~Owen