[Spellyans] KK ha'n SWF - pronunciation

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 23:52:18 BST 2008

I never knew that was on Youtube.  If anyone was ever in any doubt the
most fluent speaker of Cornish alive today is Dick Gendall, then this
must surely convince you.  He's in his 80s now, but he started to learn
the language when he was 4.   This man can THINK in Cornish.  I have
seen him do this in front of an audience with not a scrap of paper in
front of him.  For me, at least, THIS is Cornish as it should be
spoken.  Remember the descriptions of the spoken Cornish from years when
it was still a community vernacular.

"Lively and manly spoken" - William Scawen (c. 1680)

"Spoken rapidly" - Don Antonio Ortes (1600) [coming from a Spaniard,
that must be taken seriously!]

This clip shows extremely well what these two gentlemen were
describing.  Now, compare this to the KK speakers on the Youtube menu.
(Well, you can't.  There's no comparison whatsoever).

Craig