[Spellyans] Internet trolls

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 11:43:55 BST 2008

Steady on Eddie, :)

This kind of thing will happen and I would have been surprised if it
didn't. The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them, or at
least not rise to their baiting. However, some points that are raised
are good to reflect upon. Every so often it is good to review the
basis of your position to ensure that it is as solid as it needs to
be.

I don't think we should round on people here. Lets leave the Menystror
to do the work of maintaining order on the list. The work of trolls is
irritating, but I don't think they have been particularly divisive on
this list. I would be tempted to suggest that if we suspect troll is
present, or a breach of the list rules, we report it to the Menystror
and leave him to investigate and act. He can then deal with the
individual personally and then inform the list if he needs to bar
someone and state his reasons.

Although I have had suspicions about the motives of a couple of people
here I think we need to maintain an open policy to list membership and
not give the trolls ammunition to suggest that we hunt out and attack
or brow beat people with different opinions.

KK phonology is off topic for any of our discussions, so we need do
nothing more than ignore requests to reevaluate it or reappraise its
unsubstantiated nature. By any academic measure, without supporting
evidence KK has no more academic stature than guesswork.

If Ken George is watching, I would just say that I exhort you to
release your data for proper scrutiny. If there is *any* validity to
what you say then this should be properly peer reviewed otherwise it
is worthless. You know that!

Christian