[Spellyans] jangye-ryn

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 07:56:44 IST 2008

Sorry, O jet-lagged one - have been busy with proof-reading (new book)
plus being seen (and photographed by the local paper) in suit, tie and
grey bowler hat on a horse-drawn vehicle at St Buryan Rally.

I still stick to "ice-house" or "cold store", unless any further
evidence turns up.  And I know of quite a few of these - there's one,
for example, within sight of my house on the rhododendron-covered slopes
of Trengwainton Carn.  Takes a bit of finding.  Winnianton was a very
important manorial site, by the way, all the way from Domesday.  I know
it's a modest farm now - all trace of the manor house has long gone,
same as at Kelynack.  The name is Cornish gwynan, "white/fair place",
with Old English tun, "farm, settlement" added, and the nearby headland
is Pedngwinian to this day.  I would, though, like to see more historic
references and spellings for Jangye-ryn.

I don't think that "engine house" comes into it, though.  Firstly, the
word jynjy is (I think) one of Nance's inventions and, secondly, there
is no record of any mine in the area.

That initial Y occasionally becomes J in Late Cornish can be seen in
names like Venton Jean (fenten yeyn) and Chapel Jane (chapel yeyn -
although here yeyn is actually a corruption of ynyal, "desolate", the
old name for Gurnard's Head.  An early reference to the chapel remains
was Inyall Chapell), as well as an Park an Jet (park an yet).

Thanks for the kind words about little Larns.  She is still with us but
the advice from the vet is to let her enjoy summer and autumn but she
will not be able to withstand a cold winter.  I may have to make a
pretty awful decision at that point.  She is now so thin she looks like
she's walked out of Belsen (can no longer turn food into fat, and she
not only has two big meals a day - more than I have - but demolishes
them with obvious relish.).  However, she is full of herself, despite
near-blindness and is otherwise extremely well and very happy (and can
still trot and canter around freely, too).  It's the fact that she is so
fit and obviously content with life that makes it all so difficult.
However, she is 37 years of age, which is one hell of an age, and she's
been with me for the last 21 of those, becoming the family I don't
have.  Losing the old dear will leave a huge hole.  Of course, there's
Paddy, the beer-swilling Irishman, and the giant Shogun (all 18 hands of
him), but neither of them actually belong to me.

Craig