[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Fri Aug 1 09:37:31 IST 2008

CHY is pronounced [tSi:] in RMC but pronounced [tS at i] in Late Cornish.
Lhuyd (AB: 3a, 3b, 53a, 58c, 121a, 123c, 158b, 249b,253) writes the word,
't s h dotted-y i'. Nicholas and John Boson both write 'chei'. However
'choy', 'choye' and 'chuy' are also attested in Late Cornish. BRAS is
pronounced [bra:z] by RMC speakers but [brO:z] by RLC speakers.Jon