[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 12:03:40 IST 2008

"Onen hag oll" was even more well-entrenched but KG and the SWF gurus
took no notice.  So now we have "onan hag oll".

I'm used to seeing "broaz" but not "gwoav", or "cloav" even though it is
the same O: pronunciation.  The Longships Lighthouse stands on what the
map calls Carn Bra^s (that's A with a circumflex) but the survey plan of
the rock drawn for the building of the first lighthouse in 1793 calls it
the "Great Carnvroaz Rock" (how's that for double-ended tautology?)

Craig