[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 13:56:21 IST 2008

2008/8/1 Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> rug scrifa:
> is a Lhuydian innovation; I can see a use for this graph, if one were
> writing dialogue where one character had a strong Penwith accent or
> something... but I agree with Neil, there's no *need* to write <ei>,

Yes, I agree completely. The SWF also generously "permits" apostrophes
in words like for' and por'h, where there is absolutely no need for
them. Late Cornish readers will know that <dh> is usually not
pronounced in any word ending in <rdh>; the apostrophe only divides
Cornish users and benefits no one (save RMC users ignorant of RLC
pronunciation). In the same way, ffordd is normally /fOr/ in modern
spoken Welsh, but nobody writes this as ffor'.

> Having said that, it's unambiguous in terms of interpretation when
> encountered and so no problem for KS. In principle one might write
> <hy>, <crÿ>, <chÿ>.

Huh? There is no alternation with <ë> here...

> Nor I, and again I think KS should discourage this: <brâs>, <gwlân>,
> <clâv> is a better solution.

Since we already use <â> with a different significance (i.e. irregular
length), would it not be a good idea to use <å> instead? Length here
is not irregular, but the vowel quality is. The ring over <å> also
evokes the o in variants like broas or braos. I feel as though I have
also seen <å> in RLC for Lhuyd's turned a, but perhaps this was my
imagination...

Unlike Craig, I do think words like these have to be specially marked.
Michael has found us a minimal pair, so we do have to do with a
phonemic distinction.

> I object here, Eddie. If you say ['beUn at ns], write <bewnans>. If you
> say ['boUn at ns], write <bownans>. This is a dialect feature. I suppose
> we could write <bëwnans> and <böwnans> (with diaeresis to show
> alternation) but you're adding more diacritics then, and you'd end up
> with <Kernëwek>~<Kernöwek> and I don't know if that's a credible
> solution.

The word Kernowek is not in the ew~ow set. It is in the Jowan,
lowarth, lowen set. We see some early evidence for /ow/ and a lot of
late evidence for /u:/. However entrenched it may now be among the UC
and KK user communities, *Kernewek is wrong.

As for the ew~ow set as in bewnans, I'm inclined to think that we
already have an umbrella graph: <ew>. For any <ew> words could be
found that remained stable in Late Cornish as /ew/, we could press
<êw> into service. I can only find a handful of such words in
Gendall's dictionary:

RG bêu, KS bew 'alive'
RG bêu 'owns'
RG bleau 'hair'