[Spellyans] (no subject)

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 14:48:23 IST 2008

Well, here's something of interest.  Porth can be spelled por' or por'h
under the SWF and, indeed, in local speech and place-names it often
appears as Por- (including Par).  BUT there is no evidence whatsoever
that the -th of Porth was ever voiced (i.e. Pordh), except for a single
instance of Mousehole being shown as Pordhenes 1301.  None of the myriad
other Porth- names show a -dh anywhere in history.  So, why did this happen?

Returning to Carfury, I'd welcome other thoughts than my own on this as
to what the second element might be.  Here's a list of the recorded
spellings:

Carnfuru, Carfuru 1327; Carfury 1380; Carffury 1457; Carfurie 1575;
Carvery, Carfury 1607.

The first element is certainly carn, rather than car, "fort, round" -
there is neither record nor hint of any earthwork in the immediate
neighbourhood, but there is a rock outcrop, now well quarried out,
leaving an extremely attractive pool.  But what (other than furow, is
the second element.

Another question - more than one stream in Cornwall has the ancient name
of Musyn.  I haven't a clue what this means.  Has anyone any thoughts on
this?