[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 17:50:41 IST 2008

I think that Dan may be right. Let attested variants be allowed. People
will make their own choices and I would imagine that most will choose to
differentiate between the two words, using "ewna" and owna".

However, what excuse has the SWF for presenting us with "cons","paved
road" (is that spelling attested, anyone?) and "cons" , "vagina". This
wasn't the AHG which apparently did not have time to discuss the sense
of retaining <au>; it was brought in afterwards and, in my view, should
not have been.

In my place-name recommendations (full document gone in to Jenefer) I
have departed from the SWF and reintroduced <au>, particularly for
personal/saints' names such as Maunan, Maugan and Austol. To spell them
*Monan, Mogan and Ostol was simply not acceptable historically, nor
lingustically in my opinion, (although we do have one example of
Pluvogan 1523).

Craig