[Spellyans] Late Cornish adaptations

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 20:12:23 IST 2008

There is a problem with LC spellings (other than Keigwin, who was the
only actual linguistic scholar of the time).  The Bosons, Gwavas,
Tonkin, Jenkins etc. -  none of them were actually native speakers.
They all learned the language later in life. The only probable exception
was Rowe, but it seems that not even he ever saw a written text.  So all
these people wrote Cornish in the best way they could in order to convey
the pronunciation.  What they wrote was not really true Cornish
orthography but a approximation, largely using English graphs, to put
across a pronunciation guide.

I continue to think that the true spelling of Late Cornish is echoed by
Keigwin's own version of the last 16 lines of CW, which, like Jordan
himself, shows the scribal tradition carrying on from Middle and Tudor
Cornish, but with updatings.

Craig