[Spellyans] jangye-ryn

Penny Squire pennysquire at ymail.com
Tue Aug 5 17:14:57 IST 2008

Craig, I've had further thoughts on this.

Both Jynnji-ryn and Yeynji-ryn are unlikely as both engine houses and ice-houses hadn't been around very long before Cornish died out as a community language.

Newcomen's patent was 1698, I think, first 20 beam engines in Cornwall 1720 or so. First ice house in Britain 1625 (Home Park, Hampton Court) probably not in Cornwall for some time after that -  earliest one I've found is Pencarrow House, 1760, although there may have been earlier ones. First ice shipments to Britain from Norway 1820 etc.

So - on a completely different tack, it occurred to me that the first element may be LC 'Jarn', perhaps added to an existing house name 'Chi Ryn'  thus Jarn + chi + ryn, mangled a bit into Jangye-ryn. The 'r' in 'jarn' could quite easily be lost in copying, etc. especially if the scribe, cartographer or whatever had no Cornish - which is highly likely. And the word 'jarn' was in use earlier than either engine houses or ice houses, and gardens much more common than either!

However, as you say, what we need  are more historical spellings to be sure of the meaning.

Penny