[Spellyans] KK ha'n SWF - pronunciation

Penny Squire pennysquire at ymail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:46:47 IST 2008

I don't know that I have heard many Cornish speakers with RP English accents, although one hears some strange sounds at the Gorsedd - but these are only people reading their lines, not Cornish speakers, surely.  Certainly most Cornish speakers that I have heard are coming from a Cornish dialect of English, more or less - the more one goes through the English education system, the more the tendency for the native dialect to become diluted.

Even if one were to start from the assumption that 20th century Cornish dialect sounds were appropriate for Revived Cornish (which I certainly would not) decisions would still have to be made. I don't know if anyone has attempted to catalogue the different dialects (or possibly sub-dialects) within Cornwall, but there is considerable variation to my ear. In North and East Cornwall, for instance, 'quarry' isn't too far from RP, but around Camborne the 'au' sounds like Eng. 'awe'. There are a lot of differences in the vowel sounds throughout Cornwall.

In any case, I don't think the fact that all Cornish speakers have to overcome their habits of speech in (usually) English is sufficient reason for abandoning what our scholars have discovered about Cornish pronunciation. (Of course, firstly one has to reach conclusions about which scholar or scholars one finds the most credible!)

By the way, I find Dick Gendall's pronunciation very pleasant to listen to - he has a dignified, resonant delivery and on the recordings I have heard he speaks very naturally and easily (I have never heard him 'live', so I don't know if he is like that in spontaneous conversation).

However, I hear little in his Cornish which isn't found in the speach of English speaking Cornish people of his generation.  Cornish of the 1700s, 1600s and 1500s would not have sounded like that - after all, the English spoken then didn't, either!

Penny