[Spellyans] Porth & Carfury - Some wild ideas

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 23:13:55 IST 2008

The island at Mousehole is called St Clement's Isle. Opposite is a
settlement called Raginnis (rag+enys = opposite an island)

No G has ever been recorded in Carfury and we can't really conjecture
beyond the historical evidence we have. I don't think that Eng. "fury"
is involved - hybrid names aren't found from this period, only earlier
when a Cornish name had an Old English element added to it shortly after
Anglo-Saxon settlement e.g. Caradon, originally "carn" with OE dun,
"hill" added later.

Craig