[Spellyans] KK ha'n SWF - pronunciation

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 14:28:35 IST 2008

I retain the same opinion I had 20 years ago.  KK has several graphs
introduced into Cornish by Ken George (or more accurately, his computer)
that never occurred in historical written Cornish and these became
hailed as Cornish when they are not.  Computerised and unproven theories
produced by one man and a machine cannot be defined as Cornish unless
there is firm historical precedence.  Don't forget, after more than
twenty years, Ken has never allowed his data-base to be released for
public scrutiny.

But, if well publicised and continuously insisted upon, then people will
accept it.  This is why some Cornish people refer to Cornwall as a
"county" (which, legally, it is not) - because the word is incessantly
used by the media -, or accept signs saying "English Heritage" beside
sites and monuments that have nothing whatever to do with the English
peoples.  Tell a lie often enough and it gets to be believed.

Unfortunately, the SWF main form retains some of these non-Cornish
graphs.  I will never be using the main form and certainly will not
teach it.  I will teach, use and write only what is demonstrably Cornish.