[Spellyans] KK ha'n SWF - pronunciation

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 15:46:38 IST 2008

There can be no disagreement. We are not talking about minor
differences here and there.
We are talking about the entire sound system of Cornish.
Why do you think I am so opposed to KK? Because it based on
misassumptions.
Ken George invented KK because he believed that Nance had got the
entire phonemic system of Cornish wrong.
Nance had been wrong not only over minor points like eu and *tj and
*dj, but in his entire system.
Unified had only two lengths: long and short, so that tasow and mammow
had the same stressed vowel. In KK
tasow had a half-long vowel and mammow a short one. To say tazzow was
wrong; it should be ta·zow.
Moreover Unified had single consonants only, whereas according to
George it also had long consonants.
Thus in the Georgean system mm in omma 'here' was long but in oma 'I
am' it was short (and I am not talking
about the length of the stressed vowel).
I am sure you will have seen George's book the Pronunciation and
Spelling of Revived Cornish in which he
sets all hypothetical phonology out in detail.
I and other Celticists and linguists disagree totally with George, but
that is not the point.
The fact is that in spite of the phonology he espouses, George speaks
Unified. He makes a few adjustments to
a number of sounds and he has long since abandoned tj and dj, but his
spoken Cornish lacks a threefold length
and lacks long consonants. What George speaks is closer to UCR than
anything.
KK is, in my view, mistaken.
It is in everybody's view inauthentic.
George himself does not speak it.