[Spellyans] SWF discussion

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 17:26:43 IST 2008

George did his thesis in Brittany where they know nothing about
Cornwall and her history. All they are concerned with is saving
Breton from the Jacobin French republic.
Understandably of course, but it means that they have a skewed
approach to Cornish. And Cornish is completely unlike Breton for three
reasons.
1 Cornish was spoken where it always had been. Breton was imported
into a different
linguistic milieu in the 5th and 6th centuries.
2 Cornish was heavily affected by Middle English. Breton not at all.
3 Cornish has no native speakers. Breton has thousands.

The idea that Breton is a phonological key to Cornish is absurd.
It is particularly absurd when one remembers that Breton tad, zant,
Welsh tad, sant are
Cornish tas, sans. It is obvious that something radical has occurred
to Cornish which
both Breton and Welsh have missed.

Moreover the presence in Cornish since the sixteenth century of pre-
occlusion (absent from
both Welsh and Breton) is another indication that Cornish is unique
among the Brythonic languages.
This means that using either Welsh or Breton as controls is impossible.

Actually the question of pre-occlusion is itself an interesting one.
The only other
Celtic language to demostrate pre-occlusion is Manx. Manx is Gaelic in
the mouths of
Norsemen, speakers of a Germanic language. Cornish is Brythonic in the
mouths of
Anglophone Cornishmen and Cornishwomen as they relearnt the Celtic
language
after the Norman Conquest and the loss of prestige by English.

Nicholas