[Spellyans] KK ha'n SWF - pronunciation

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 18:01:17 IST 2008

On 9 Aug 2008, at 16:53, Harry Fraiser wrote:
> A closed book to most of us, I'm afraid!

But essential tools for discussing phonology are the standard
notation systems used for transcribing sounds objectively.

You might as well try to participate in, say, a  Chemistry, Physics
or Maths discussion group without any knowledge of those 'arcane
formula squiggles', as 'Penny' might have put it, or of the
underlying academic discipline.

> We really do need those authoritative sound recordings.

Without a trained ear, one would not be able to perceive the phonetic
subtleties in such recordings. Even if one could, without a knowledge
of phonetic notation and terminology, one could not communicate one's
perceptions in an objective way to other people. Those 'authoritative
sound recordings' would merely satisfy your solipsistic appetites,
and add little nor nothing to this group's deliberations.

I'm a hands-on linguist of many years' experience, but in no way a
trained phonologist. For me, what was useful was the sort of
"ignoramus's guide" (if you'll pardon the phrase) offered by
Wikipedia, such as:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonetics
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_phonetics_topics
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

.. . . and this one is of particular relevance, as X-SAMPA is often
used on discussion fora like this one, since it needs no special (non-
keyboard)characters:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Sawadow yu fowt skyans,