[Spellyans] SWF discussion

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 19:06:30 IST 2008

The "Vikings" that we joined forces with (in 838) were Danes.  I think
we must also have helped them locate and fire the Saxon-founded mint at
Lydford during the 10th century (how else could they have known it was
there without local knowledge).  One suggestion of why we teamed up in
838 was that we were allowing them to use our ports (including Plymouth
Sound, then wholly within Cornish territory which strecthed to the
Exe-Taw line).  Unfortunately, someone snitched when we teamed up to
take Crediton and Exeter back from Ecgberht of Wessex, and we were
ambushed and defeated at Hengestesdun - now believed to have been
Hingston Down, Moretonhampstead, 10 miles from both Crediton and
Exeter)  The Danes weren't here nearly long enough for their language to
have the slightest influence on Cornish.  The only Scandinavian
place-names I can find are Old and New Grimsby on Tresco, Isles of Scilly.

Interesting question, though - who could have acted as interpreters
between the Danes and the West Welsh (Cornish)?

Craig