[Spellyans] consistency

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 22:16:18 IST 2008

I'm not sure that he does.  However, the village of Paul, named after St
Paul Aurelian, has spellings such as Pawle 1437, 1584, 1634; Pawlle 1580
and Pawl c. 1680.  There is also Powle c. 1700, but not a Pol in sight,
so I think that Mr Dunbar has it right.  Incidentally, the village also
has a Cornish name, Breweny (now Brewinney).  Any suggestions as to the
derivation of this name will be welcome.  Does it contan bre "hill", or
brew, "fragment of land"?  I'll give you all the same evidence that I have:

Breweny 1284, 1323, 1329, 1430; Brewyni 1301; Brunony 1308; Brueny 1325,
1333; Bruwenny 1443; Borweny c. 1540; Brewiny, Burweny 1668; Brewinney
c. 1841.

I suspect that the qualifying element might be a stream name, if that
helps (i.e. the stream that rises nearby and runs down to Mousehole, via
Duck Street, where Dolly Pentreath used to live).

Craig