[Spellyans] Internet trolls

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 10 09:24:15 IST 2008

Members might like to have a look at the Wikipedia article on
Internet trolls at:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet%29

.. . . which starts with a useful definition:
> An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone
> who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic
> messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum
> or chat room, with the intention of baiting other users into an
> emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic
> discussion.

It seems that there is the odd correspondent on this list whose posts
seem to fit that definition, and who appears to be unknown to the
rest of us. Interestingly, these people offered up-front reasons in
their introductory statements why this might be so: living outside
Cornwall, travelling a lot, only just started learning Cornish, and
so on.

However, the Cornish Revival is , alas, but a small world, and thus
one in which most people are known to many others. For myself, as a
resident of Devon, I have little opportunity to get down to language
events in Cornwall, and study the language largely on my own. Yet I
know (and am known by) most people on this list, either first or
second hand.

 From his penchant for polysyllabic pomposity, the odd Latinism and
disingenuous, non-responsive, fake-bonhomie, 'Harry Fraiser' has
sounded increasingly like 'Tim Saunders'. Indeed, he signed himself
'Tim' in a recent posting here.

Another member who seems unknown claims to be called Penny Squires.
Does any other member know someone of this name within the Revival? S/
he claims to have attended quite a few language events; is there
anyone who has met 'her' at one of them?

Then, there's 'Mary Williams'; although we haven't had anything from
that member for a while, a flip through the archives shows 'her'
posts have been mostly rather trollish. Has anybody ever come across
that name in the Revival?

I apologise in advance to these two if my suspicions are unfounded.

However, 'Harry Fraiser'/Tim Saunders seems to have been playing a
trollish tit-for-tat double act with some of these other members.
This is just like we've seen him doing on fora like C24 and
CornishOrthography. There he did it with the likes of Paul Dunbar,
Keith Bailey and (just possibly) Ken George, all of them bar Dunbar
using a variety of noms de guerre.

Harry Fraiser's name is a lie. His introductory statement about
himself was largely a lie -- if not the lie direct then the lie of
the suggestio falsi variety. Why would he bother indulging in such
silly subterfuge and dishonesty on an open, public list like this,
when he'd have been perfectly welcome to join and take part under his
own name?

Perhaps this is the measure of what he believes is all he has to
contribute to the Revival: lies and trolling.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo
Dres ethom akennow byner re bons lyeshes
Accenti non multiplicanda praeter necessitatem