[Spellyans] Internet trolls

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 09:15:15 IST 2008

That was never my intention Craig. As I said, I too have had
misgivings about some of the contributors here. It is also noticeable
that none of the named parties have attempted to defend their honour.
The poison and vitriol of the last twenty five years runs deep, also,
as Eddie so rightly pointed out, a trolls joy is in eliciting an
emotional response. The best way of dealing with trolls is to ignore
them and for the Menystror to block them as they raise their
pernicious heads. If Harry is Tim, all he has accomplished is to look
a bit pathetic and childish. By all means nail them on C24, that is
the place for those kinds of communication. This list strives to be
civil. The danger in publicly 'outing' trolls who may be disguised as
names we do not know is that it can easily be twisted by opponents
into accusations of witch hunting, sometimes mistakes can be made. It
could also create an awkward atmosphere for people who do not know the
characters behind the suspected trolls.

I have abolutely no desire to reign in Eddie's wit (heaven forbid! :-)
 )or to upset him in any way, apologies Eddie if I did. I also did not
accuse him of anything, let alone of having an agenda. I hope you
don't think me guilty of the things you mention in the last half of
your response? That is not my intention at all. I am fully supportive
of this project and I am painfully aware that we are going to need all
the support that we can get from both the public and especially
talented and competent people like Eddie and others on this list.

Christian