[Spellyans] KK ha'n SWF - pronunciation - re DG

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 22:23:34 IST 2008

I think that a link to Dan's recording is on this list somewhere, not
too long ago.  I don't pretend to be fluent in Cornish.  I never  did
find it easy to pick up languages but, if you have a weakness, find a
strength.  Mine was researching and I hope that, through that, I've
managed to do the language some good.  Along the way, I've met and been
welcomed by people whose ability and expertise in Cornish is far greater
than mine will ever be, and I'm grateful for it.  I'm not all that
interested in the present.  I just want to ensure that the language, as
near to a genuine version as can be achieved, has a future.

At present, all that is truly Cornish is under threat as never before.
Even as I write, a quango, calling itself Culture South West is seeking
to submerge our distinctive Cornish and Celtic culture - all facets of
it - under a newly invented "south-western culture".  The language is
included in that alarming brief - which is why central government hasn't
lifted a finger to help since 2002 when Cornish was finally included in
the European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages - and I believe
that the programme was put in place twenty-odd years ago.  Divide and
destroy didn't work.  Strange to say, the bitter arguments since 1987
have actually kept the language alive.

There is much that defines the Cornish people and the language is the
greatest and most iconic of those assets.  Without it, we no longer
exist.  We become part of a soulless, homogenised whole.  An lavar coth
yw lavar gwyr - den heb tavas a gollas y dyr.  The old saying is a true
one - a man without a language has lost his land.  To ensure that we
don;t is why we do what we do.  Stick with it, Nige.

Craig