[Spellyans] troll accusation

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Aug 14 17:39:12 IST 2008

On 11 Aug 2008, at 18:31, Penny Squire wrote:

> Michael
>
> In a little more than 24 hours since I last posted the Spellyans
> list has erupted with accusations of troll activity.
>
> I will deal briefly with the accusation against myself:
>
>> On 9 Aug 2008, at 16:26, Penny Squire wrote: hadn't realised that
>> you had come to the conclusion that Jenner's phonology was correct.
>> Perhaps it's time for his Handbook to be reprinted. That would be a
>> splendid project for Michael! - Penny.
>>

>>> You sound like a troll.  - Michael Everson
>>

> This was followed by your posting:
>
>> Just now, a listmember wrote to me:
>>
>>> I had concerns about Penny when I saw 'her' post yesterday
>>> lunchtime about the recordings done by Rod and Julia -- those
>>> recordings were done 20 years ago [...] the comments about the
>>> Gorsedd tell me this is someone who has been a Bard for a very
>>> long time.
>>
>> So, Ms Penny Sqwir, your posts are now being moderated. Come clean
>> and identify yourself or you will be unsubscribed. - Michael Everson
>
> It seems to me, Michael, that Eddie Climo seems to be at the root of
> this. I suspect that he has been seething with resentment ever since
> paid I him off with his own coin - you will remember that he made an
> exceedingly rude attack on what I thought was a perfectly reasonable
> posting of mine made shortly after joining the Spellyans list.
>
> He seems to make a habit of this sort of intemperate rudeness. The
> insolence, sarcasm and sheer lack of respect with which he dared to
> pick up a minor mistake which Nicholas made astonished me. I am more
> than a little surprised that you did not haul him up for that at the
> time.

I can accept that you might have a dislike for Eddie's sense of humour
and satire.

However, you have not responded to my request. Rightly or wrongly, it
has been suggested that you are someone who has been a Bard of the
Gorseth for a very long time. Yet there is no "Penny Squire" who is a
Bard. Is Penny Squire your real name? If not, what is it? Rightly or
wrongly, there is doubt about this right now.

> Regarding your first troll accusation:  I fail to see what you seem
> to find objectionable in my remarks. I said that I was surprised
> that Nicholas believes that Jenner's phonology was correct. I had
> assumed that his research, along with that of George, Mills,
> Chaudhri et al. would have built on Jenner's work and advances in
> scholarship would have resulted. If Nicholas believes that Jenner's
> phonology is still accurate then he is entitled to that view and I
> respect that right.

It's nothing specific. Yet there is a question.

> I certainly would like to see Jenner's Handbook reprinted. It
> signalled the birth of the Revival and I would have thought that a
> well produced facsimile edition would sell, given the increasing
> interest in the language - but I am not a publisher and you are.

I think there are some other things that need to come out first.

> I had thought of unpacking Eddie's response to my posting re
> Anglified pronunciation and showing how peurile and poorly reasoned
> his criticisms were - except that it would be wasted upon his ego.
>
> As you can see from his comments (second troll accusation, above) he
> has developed leaping to conclusions into an art form. Has it not
> occurred to him that recordings might still be found years after
> publication (I got my 'Flows ha Furnedh' tapes in a Truro secondhand
> shop two years ago!) and is he not aware that the Gorsedd ceremony
> is a public event - I have been to many, and was taken for the first
> time by my parents when I was, I think, six or seven. And yes, I do
> think the standard of pronunciation is generally poor and Anglified
> - and I think anyone else with even a moderate ear for speech and
> dialects dialects would think the same.

So you've been around the Revival for a long time. Do you know any of
our colleagues in Agan Tavas?

> I am particularly disappointed with you, Michael, in that you saw
> fit to publish a copy of the allegation that I might really be Paul
> Dunbar on to Cornwall 24 ('open and honest discussion') without
> giving me a chance to defend myself. I realise that you were
> disturbed by Eddie's nonsense, but it it was irresponsible and
> certainly not the best PR for Spellyans. (To be sure, Harry Frasier
> was a phony, but that is hardly a reason for throwing troll
> accusations around in all directions.)

Mayhap. I'd like to know who you are, though.

> I enjoyed the little bit of brainstorming I did with Craig on Jangye-
> ryn. His enthusiam and continuing research on placenames is
> something with which I can identify. If I leave the list I will miss
> those enjoyable discussions.

You haven't been taken off the list.

> However I have to say that I am not convinced that the SWF can be
> either improved or saved. I said so in one of my early postings, and
> still think so.

I am quite convinced it can be improved, and thereby saved. What do
you think is wrong with it?

> Therefore I am not particularly concerned as to whom you believe
> that I am - with individuals like Eddie Climo on this list I am
> certainly not going to make public my phone number and address!

I'll be happy to speak to you privately if you wish.

> An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who
> posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in
> an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat
> room, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional
> response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Well you did start out with comments about the monarchy which many
people complained to me about.

> I have sent this posting direct to you with a copy to Craig as I
> have no wish to promote any more emotional responses or disruption
> of on-topic discussion than has already occurred. You may post it on
> the list or not as you see fit.

Transparency is as transparency does, so I have done so.

> Penny

If you are who you say you are, I'll be happy to apologize. It is
regrettable that the seeds of distrust do plague us. But frankly I
myself and many of my colleagues have had to put up with a lot these
past few years. Saunders' clownish presence here, pointless as it was,
may have let me to suspect you unjustly.