[Spellyans] <kk> and <ck>

ajtrim at msn.com ajtrim at msn.com
Thu Dec 18 02:04:38 GMT 2008

For what it's worth, here is my attempt:

In either Main Form or Traditional Form, we should have a double consonant
only where the SWF rules say one should be, i.e. at the end of a closed
syllable that is both stressed and where the vowel is short.

In the Main Form, the first consonant should be <k>. The second one should
be <k> unless it is pronounced [s] being before an <e, i, or y>, when it
should be <c>. But if it is pronounced [k] regardless, it should be <k>.

In the Traditional Form, the first consonant should be <c>. The second one
should be <k> unless it is pronounced [s] being before an <e, i, or y>, when
it should be <c>. But if it is pronounced [k] regardless, it should be <k>.
However, it should also be <k> in word-final position, and should be <c>
before an <a, o, u, l, or r>.

I note however that UCR, at least, has <trenkles> for "rhubarb", and this
fails the above rules.
So I think that we need at least one further rule to wrap this up.
Perhaps it should be <k> between two consonants.

 I don't think that it will be always.
regarded as an error.

For KS, you may want different rules regarding stress!

We also need a rule for <ch> in "technical" terms that are pronounced <k>.
We have words like "technical" and others like "tectonic".
I think that UCR had it about right.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim