[Spellyans] del 'leaves' and dèl/dell 'so, as'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Dec 14 21:52:50 GMT 2008

On 14 Dec 2008, at 21:11, <ajtrim at msn.com> <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:

> OK, Michael.
> Thanks for your explanation.
> That explains things nicely.
>
> I did not realise that it is a rule that <àr> is regularly lowered
> in KS.

No, short /a/ is regularly lowered before /r/ in the version of
Revived Cornish which we recommend.
Well, now I could be wrong but I think long /a/ before /r/ is still
[æː], <war> [wæːr].
If I am wrong I should know so I can work out the rule.

> It appears inconsistently in the SWF: in <barv> "beard" but not in
> <bardh> "bard".
> It is in <daras> "door" but not in <darbar> "device".
> It is in <fals> "false" but not in <fals> "scythe".
> The SWF should distinguish these two sounds of <a>.

What are you using for your phonetic respellings here? Dan's
dictionary? (I know he has given it out to a few people to look at and
that you are one of them.)

> You are right, it has to be <wàr> "on" and <war> "aware" in KS.
> I don't like <warr> for "on".

Nobody does. :-) But only KS distinguishes the two.