[Spellyans] Jazz > loan words?

John Sheridan john_s_sheridan at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 21:29:17 BST 2008

Eddie Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

In Nicholas's dictionary, there's another loan containing <-zz->:

E. mezzo-soprano = UCR metsô-soprano
I'd suggest that this is acceptable, as well as <mezzo-soprano> with or without italicisation. This lexical item is just one of a very large number of technical terms in music which are used in English (and elsewhere) with no respelling. ...
Thus, the words listed above all instantly become acceptable in Cornish when written as follows:

Mezza, Mezzo, Mezzo Carattere, Mezzo-Staccato, Mezzo-forte.

'Mezza', 'Mezzo', 'Mezzo Carattere', 'Mezzo-Staccato', 'Mezzo-forte'.

As a musician and former academic, I can tell you that academic style guides for English, at least here in the States, would not require one to italicize or enclose foreign-language musical terms in quotes.   I think this thread is veering off from spelling rules to rules of style -- an interesting topic for Cornish in its own right.  But personally, I would find it odd if all borrowings into Cornish were respelled phonetically, and am not sure why they should be.

Oll an gwella,
-John