[Spellyans] -ita

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Tue Jul 1 01:19:33 IST 2008

Rule (1) is crazy for Middle Cornish folk.
Best to use <y-> for initial [I] and <i-> for initial [i:].
RLC folk could use <i> instead of <y>, throughout the system, if they want
to.
They would then need to mark long <i> with a diacritical mark, perhaps a
circumflex, thus <î>.

Rule (2) is OK (but see (3) below.)
Not sure about bÿs/bës yet. See Note below.

Rule (3) is OK for Middle Cornish folk.
However, it would not be necessary to mark the <i> in words like Bibel and
sira, as the <i> is already regularly long [i:]. Marking is only thought to
be necessary because you want to say that the <i> in words like tiryow (from
tir) and gwiryoneth (from gwir) are short.
I would rather write these tyryow and gwyryoneth but, either way, I believe
that any confusion would be minimal.
RLC folk would need to mark these, e.g. Bîbel and sîra if they were using
<i> in place of <y> [I].

Note: Many people have problems, or mental blocks/bloody-mindedness, with
diacritical marks. Words like bÿs/bës would inevitably be written bys/bes
much of the time (as they are in the current SWF). However, the <y> is long
so they should be bïs/bës. That way, when the mark is left off we get
bis/bes which is better. For RLC folk, bis would be a definite error as for
them the <i> would be short (assuming rule (1) above.)  I don't know but I
would expect RLC folk to use only the <ë> form.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim