[Spellyans] SWF vowel inconsistencies

John Sheridan john_s_sheridan at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 01:16:53 IST 2008

--- On Tue, 7/1/08, nicholas williams <njawilliams at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand what you mean by this remark.
> It's not most KK speakers, it's all KK speakers
> (except Ben Bruch who
> now doesn't believe KK anyway).

Well, and Ben's students, e.g. me.

Although I've wondered often if, in order to pronounce revived Cornish properly, I need to overlay it with a heavy southwestern UK accent.  That is not meant to be a criticism in any way, but a legitimate question.  If the current Cornish language community uses the inventory of vowels and consonants from their native English dialect when pronouncing Cornish, doesn't that amount to those sounds being the inventory of sounds in contemporary Cornish, and shouldn't I emulate that?  If, rather, I try to pronounce it as laid out in some book whether by Ken George or by you, Professor Williams, or anyone else, can I be said to be pronouncing it properly?

Yn lel,
-John Sheridan