[Spellyans] SWF vowel inconsistencies

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:59:56 IST 2008

This is a particular bugbear of mine. The audio resources (living
people or recordings) for language learning are (IMHO) the MOST vital
piece of the puzzle and in the case of Cornish are, more often than
not wholly inadequate. You only have to hear poor Graham Sandercock
gargling his way through the "Holywgh an Lergh" tapes to hear what I
mean - and he actually seems to have a Cornish accent (I've never
heard him speak anywhere else though).

We NEED good examples of well spoken Cornish and I am with Craig on
this matter, West Penwith gives you the best guide. I was never
particularly impressed by the rather disparaging tone taken by
supporters of some other orthographies to the West Penwith accent. It
seems some people have the attitude that its the way bumpkins talk and
rather look down on it.

For distance learners and people well away from Cornwall I cannot
believe they have a hope of even coming close to reasonable spoken
Cornish without access to a good teacher or at the barest minimum good
audio recordings. Thinking back to my school days when learning
French, my first teacher was English. My second teacher, on the other
hand was French, and I had no idea what she was saying for weeks.

We need examples of conversations, more than the simple "Good morning
Mr Angwin" type basic interchanges although they have their place. We
need more examples like Dan's wonderful JCH recording. I have heard
one KK teacher speaking 'Cornish' with impeccable English RP vowels -
makes my hair stand on end!

Christian