[Spellyans] SWF vowel inconsistencies

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 11:15:36 IST 2008

>From Terry's introduction:

"I am still  searching for answers about what the phonology of Cornish
was and what the best way is to represent it to make it as inclusive
of all periods as well as easy to learn."

His question:
"Could you tell me what you believe were the vowels of pre-prosodic
shift Cornish?"

I think he was simply asking if anyone had any thoughts other than KG
as to these sounds. I suspect he got the hump because he felt his
question was being dismissed in quite an abrupt way, when all he was
asking was if anyone knew the answer to his question.

Nicholas' reply could be interpreted as dissmissive:
"Why should we consider pre-shift Cornish? We're not trying to revive
Old Cornish, are we?"

and your reply could be interpreted as sarcastic:

'Why? Do you think anyone says "I want to learn Cornish but only that
Cornish spoken before the Prosodic Shift"?'

Not to suggest that the quotes above were intended to be dismissive or
sarcastic, merely that they could be interpreted as such.

My interpretation is that his reasons for departing this list are as
simple as that.

It is *very* easy for the wrong tone to be implied in emails. Their
immediacy and conversational nature can lead to this kind of position.
It can be all too easy to come across as sarcastic, patronising or
impatient. Without facial expressions or tone of voice to colour the
meaning of the written words, it is often the more severe
interpretation that is taken when reading others comments.

Christian