[Spellyans] SWF vowel inconsistencies

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:22:54 IST 2008

Welsh pronunciation is very un-English and native speakers of Welsh
pronounce English like
Welsh not vice versa. They say, for example, kri:w for crew and ni:ws
for news [nju:z]. They have trouble
with [z] and will say [hausIs] for houses and 'I saw a Sebra in the
soo'. Indeed zoo is written sw in Welsh.

The intonation of Welsh is very different from English and even in
English Welsh speakers will
pronounce toponyms in their Welsh form. We say bang-g@ for Bangor,
but  native Welsh speakers say
Bangor with the stress on the first syllable but a rise in tone on the
second syllable and a clear o vowel.

The whole point about the Prosodic Shift in my view is that it made
Cornish closer to English than it
had been and thus less like Welsh. The Welsh name is Caradog with
three clear syllables whereas
the Cornish equivalent Caragek after the shift would have been
k at raedZ@k with schwa in the unstressed syllables.

The weakening of unstressed syllables to schwa is already noticeable
in PA and the Ordinalia. By the time of
BM it is complete. The scribe of BM writes dotha 'to him' because his
final unstressed syllables were all schwa.

The next stage is seen in TH who in order to keep gansa 'with him'
apart from gansa 'with them' recharacterises
the latter as gansans.

The first stage in the anglicisation of Cornish phonology was the
assibilation of tad > tadz > tas/taz. This came about
because the Brythonic distinction between fortis and lenis was
replaced by the English opposition of stop and affricate.

A later stage in the anglicisation of Cornish was the phenomenon known
as pre-occlusion. The distinction between n and n:
survived long enough in some forms of Cornish to undergo sound
substitution: n: > dn. A similar phenomenon is
to be seen in Manx, which is Gaelic (which has long consonants) in the
mouths of Norse speakers.
Pre-occlusion in Manx goes back to the beginnings of Manx in the ninth
century, but does not appear in writing till
much later.

If we Cymricise Cornish we will, I believe, do violence to the
phonology of the language, which has been closer to English
than to Welsh since the beginning of the Middle Cornish period.

Nicholas