[Spellyans] SWF vowel inconsistencies

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Wed Jul 2 13:03:14 IST 2008

It is not until the Middle English period that vowels start to become
schwa in unstressed syllables. This first occurred in word final vowels:
'soote', 'roote', 'yonge', 'sonne'. Follow this link to hear some
Chaucer: http://www.vmi.edu/english/audio/GP-Opening.ram . Middle English
did not have the preponderance of weak forms that appear in today's
English. Weakening of vowels in unstressed syllables would appear to be
an areal feature that affected both English and Cornish. It is possible
that it even started to occur in Cornish before English.Jon