[Spellyans] SWF vowel inconsistencies

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Jul 2 19:18:22 IST 2008

FYI, I said the following to Terry:

=====
Hi Terry,

>No, I wasn't offended by your post. I just don't
>see any point to the Spellyans list if it is not
>going to concern itself with reforming the SWF
>in a realistic manner.

It is difficult to understand what you mean, but
it seems to me that your unsubscription was
rather hasty. I don't think it's fair to us or
even to you.

What do you mean, "a realistic manner"? The CLP
will do nothing about changing the SWF for five
years. We cannot talk to them about it. They
aren't interested. They weren't interested in
what Nicholas and I had to say as the SWF was
being developed either, which is why the SWF has
so many mistakes in it -- mistakes which are
going to cause learners problems. We can't write
the SWF until those things are fixed. So we are
going to fix them, and write the result.

Similarly, it is difficult to see why -- or how
-- we should invest energy ensuring that spurious
pronunciations which no one uses should also be
"included" or supported. For instance, in writing
bÿs/bës we do not "proscribe" the [I:] -- but
then we don't have to: nobody uses it anyway.

Your postings and questions have hitherto been
helpful and interesting. I was hoping that you'd
stay on.

Yn lel,