[Spellyans] Words beginning in-/en-

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 19:27:42 IST 2008

To be authentic 'bury' should be spelt ancledhyas, ancledhys. There is
no need either for initial in/yn- or for <eu> either.
There might be an argument for breusy and beudhy since forms like
brusy and buthy are attested. But eu in ynkleudh- is fiction.
Actually it is my view that brusy and buthy had [y], since we find
bidhis in Lhuyd.
I avoid brusy and use the far commoner word jùjya.
Brusy occurs once at BM 4054. Jùjya (judgia, yugge, iugge, iuggya)
occurs at least 24 times.

Nicholas