[Spellyans] Phonemic inventory

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Fri Jul 4 08:15:00 IST 2008

I always use the West Penwith pronunciation of <da> "good".  Not as the
Welsh (which is how most Cornish users pronounce the word), but with the
a spoken like the ai of "fair".  This was its pronunciation in Sennen
Cove and a fisherman's chart from the 1930s, written phonetically, shows
"Pullan Day" for a sheltered area of water now shown as Pollen Da.  I
believe that this was how the late Cecil Roberts used to pronounce it, too.

Craig