[Spellyans] Phonemic inventory

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Fri Jul 4 09:35:47 IST 2008

At 08:10 +0000 2008-07-04, Jon Mills wrote:
>Nicholas did not demonstrate minimal contrast
>with all the other vowels of Cornish.
>
>Actually, I would say [diU gwe:T @ 'mænt at l] if
>HA is unstressed. And I would say [diU gwe:T ha
>'mænt at l] if HA is stressed.
>
>A problem with inventing examples such as these
>is that one is effectively saying that
>such-and-such a word is pronounced like this
>because I say so.

*Bashes head on table*

Splendid, Jon. I'm revising a grammar here with a
section on phonology. I want to know whether I
should write /@/ or [@] in the discussion of the
phonemic inventory. We can get lost in the
abstractions of phonemic theory, but at the end
of the day (1) we want people to know about schwa
and (2) we have to refer to it without in the
grammar with some kind of notation.

I'm leaning toward [@].