[Spellyans] Phonemic inventory

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Fri Jul 4 10:45:26 IST 2008

At the moment, we do not have a study of Cornish that determines the
phonemic inventory of Cornish by minimal contrast. It might be done
by sampling today's speakers. It might be done from the data
collected by Lhuyd. It might be done, with a high degree of
uncertainty, by looking at the Middle Cornish texts. But, to date, we
have no such study. Of course, there are many phonemic inventories to
be found in various books about Cornish. However these inventories
are conjectural, not supported by minimal contrast sets. In other
words. they are 'because I say so' inventories. And, of course, these
inventories differ. If your grammar is pedagogical, you might say
this is a recommended only pronounciation; you may hear other
speakers pronouncing Cornish differently from the recommendations in
this grammar. If you go down this route, whether you write /@/ or [@]
is entirely up to you.
Jon