[Spellyans] Jazz

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 5 13:34:28 IST 2008

It's un-italicised 'jazz' in UCR, of course. If we were to have KS
*jaz, then I think we'd have to have *jazek rather than ?*jasek, lest
people attempt a spurious back-formation:

tasek < tas
gwlasek < gwlas
tewasek < tewas
lagasek < lagas
etc.
So, quite natural to think:
?*jasek < *jas

Whereas, jazek<jaz is not prone to this error.

Moreover, KS *jas might lead to some unfortunate misconstruals:

> jaspys = a piece of jazz (rather than 'jasper')
>
> jasmyn = a jazz kid (rather than the fragrant flower)
>
> lefanjas = the voice of jazz (instead of a plurality of frogs)
>
> Then there'd be the jazziest book in the New Testament: 'Pystyl
> Jamys', which is abbreviated to UCR 'Jas.'

Finally, it's always OK to use an italicised loan-word with the
original spelling (within the bounds of good style, at least).

So, fwiw, my money's on jaz/jazz/jazek.

Eddie Foirbeis Climo