[Spellyans] All these I's and Y's etc

Mary Williams marywilliams230 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 5 13:46:57 IST 2008

Sorry, but could you help someone who may be going to teach Cornish.

In UC there were the two letters "y" and "e" and if they had a line
over them they were long sounds. The problem was that you keep having
to look words up to see whether they had long sounds. KK was better
because you always knew which were the long sounds, but there was a new
letter "i" which wasn't the same as "y". I called "i" the sharp sound
and "y" the blunt sound and that's how I remembered it.

Now you've got an "i" and a "y" and an "e" and they all seem to
sometimes have dots or some other decoration on them, so that's six
different letters. Do you want us to say six different sounds? What are
these sounds? If there are less sounds (it does seem rather a lot!)
what are all these letters for? I could understand if the dots were for
long sounds (or was it short sounds?) but I don't think that's right.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit silly, but please try to bear the ordinary user, and especially the teachers in mind.

Mary