[Spellyans] Jazz > loan words?

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 08:52:43 IST 2008

Pizza is also Italian and English doesn't have a word, or a distinct
spelling, for it.  So, a pizza is a pizza in Rome, Rochester and
Redruth.  If other languages don't respell it, neither should we.  If
that makes Cornish a "made-up language", then the same must apply to the
others who use the word.

The word "jazz" is of uncertain origin, according to my dictionaries.
If we don't even know where the word came from or how it was derived,
how can we respell it?  We can't.  Jazz must remain jazz.  We re
reconstructing Cornish, but words like these are not Cornish.  Whatever
their origin, they are international words.  Leave well alone is my advice.

Craig