[Spellyans] Fw: Re: All these I's and Y's etc

Mary Williams marywilliams230 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 13:44:28 IST 2008

--- On Sun, 6/7/08, Mary Williams <marywilliams230 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
From: Mary Williams <marywilliams230 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] All these I's and Y's etc
To: "Michael Everson" <everson at evertype.com>
Date: Sunday, 6 July, 2008, 12:38 PM

--- On Sat, 5/7/08, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
Actually the KS system allows for "e" and "é" and
"è" and "ë" and "i" and "î" and
"y" and "ÿ".
That's eight letters.

The system *does* work, and it's not all that
complicated, though it might seem so at first.

Well yes, I have to admit I'm quite lost.

I understand you want to show which ones are long sounds. You could
mark them like UC and Welsh do, (put hats on them) or you could do it
like KK where its short if there's more than one other letter before
the next vowel, or for i and y you could say that i is always long and
y is always short. But then why are you putting hats and things on i
and y?

I'm completely foxed by the double dots. I think you must be trying to
do too many things at once, so they all get muddled up. Does y with
dots sound the same as y without, same for e? If they're the same what
are the dots for, if they're not the same how are we supposed to say
them?

If e with dots is for Late Cornish people not to have to write y for
the 'blunt i-sound', what's y with dots needed for? Or is one long and
the other short ...

I didn't have any real problems with the other systems, but so far this
is 'as clear as mud'.  Just if it's too difficult people won't use
it , or they'll ignore all the funny marks and guess.

Mary

Not happy with your email address?

  Get the one you

really want - millions of new email addresses available now at  Yahoo!