[Spellyans] Modern English

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 14:36:57 IST 2008

But "jazz" isn't a Cornish word.  It's a loan from an undefined
language.  Interesting to see that some other languags do have
alternative spellings, but when you consider that not even the
definitive dictionaries can show how the word was derived, I wonder (and
question) how these spellings have been arrived at.

I honestly feel that we should be concentrating on how we spell Cornish
rather than the loan words which, I feel, should remain in their
original state.  It would then be obvious that they are loan words and,
as such, do not have to conform to Cornish orthographic conventions.
English certainly doesn't do this (at least in spelling).  Italian <zz>
is a "tz" sound and one might expect English to spell it "pitsa".  But
it doesn't.  It retains the Italian spelling.  I think we should do the
same.

Craig