[Spellyans] Fw: Re: All these I's and Y's etc

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 19:53:25 IST 2008

The double dots do not change the sound, they mark the fact that the
word has an alternative sound and spelling.
eg bys (world)

There are two spellings for this word depending on whether you want to
write Late or Middle Cornish. These are <bës> or <bÿs>.

As Michael said
"If you prefer to say [i:], you should write <bÿs>."
"If you prefer to say [e:], you should write <bës>."

The diaresis (the two dots) signifies this is an optional spelling and
the word is not to be confused with <bys> (but) which has only one
form.

The other diacritical marks are there to remove ambiguity in words
where there my be confusion as to whether the vowel is long or short.

Christian