[Spellyans] Jazz > loan words?

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 23:14:39 IST 2008

On 8 Jul 2008, at 17:57, Michael Everson wrote:
> . . . That would give [us] jaz, jazek but <i>allegro non troppo</
> i>. And if
> someone preferred to write <i>jazz</i> they could do so. (The Welsh
> offer both <i>jazz</i> and jas, jasaidd.ernowek.net

An interesting insight there, Michael: I was seeing the two options
as mutually exclusive, but, of course, they're not.

It's perhaps a little similar to the situation in English with
regards to accents and foreign plurals. Some people prefer to write
the original (foreign) accents on words like café, naïve, fiancée and
dépôt, while others prefer them plain. And with plurals, you'll see
both cactuses/cacti (from Latin), phenomenons/phenomena (Greek),
cherubs/cherubim (Hebrew), eisteddfods/eisteddfodau (Welsh) and so on.

With these examples, each of us will probably have our own
preferences, but there's no denying the alternatives exist in the
living language, irrespective of how incorrect or pedantic we might
perceive other people's choice to be.

Eddie