Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Jul 10 11:30:33 IST 2008

At 11:10 +0100 2008-07-10, A. J. Trim wrote:

>Yes, beys is OK by me, and it looks more Cornish.

It is not an option.

Folks,

We're not re-inventing the wheel here. We don't
have a blank slate. We devised KS with
inclusivity and authenticity in mind and --
amazingly -- a lot of that actually got accepted
into the SWF. The SWF has, however,
inconsistencies and errors which make it
undesirable for use. One of those is that you
can't distinguish <res> 'necessary' [re:z] which
has only one pronunciation from SWF <bes>
'finger' which can be pronounced [bi:z] or
[be:z], and can't distingush SWF <bys> 'finger'
which can be pronounced [bi:z] or [be:z] from
<bys> 'but' which is only pronounced [bIz]. And
there is a class of these words and it isn't very
small.

We treat lightly by writing <bës>~<bÿs> for this
class of words. Opting for <beis> or <beys>,
which was vehemently rejected by the KK members
of the AHG, will not give us a corrected SWF/KS
which will have a chance of winning over KK users
or UC users who want to give the SWF a chance but
will be uncomfortable with its mistakes.