Tom Trethewey tom.trethewey at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 13:30:59 IST 2008

there are two explanations.  The one favoured hitherto on this forum has been that there were two different pronunciations, [i:] and [E:] for the words with long vowels.
I find this explanation naive compared with its alternative, that the mixture of <i~y> and <e> (and indeed <ey>) represents a sound intermediate between [i] and [E], say [I].
So when the word for 'finger' is spelled both <bis> and <bes> in Old Cornish,
it means that the vowel was between [i:] and [E:].  The same observation may be made for the spelling of many words in Middle Cornish, such as <dyth~deyth~deth> 'day'.

Tom Trethewey