nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:04:11 IST 2008

The argument that a phoneme  is midway between Y and Z and is
therefore written X is not one that carries much weight.
If there is a phoneme X then the scribes will tend to spell it by the
closest graph available. They may
write two different sounds in the same way, e.g. <u> for /oe/ and /y/
in Middle Cornish. But the idea that
<e> and <i> mean something in between both is naive. Ken George
noticed the hesitation between
s and g and suggested the absurd /tj/ and /dj/. The most likely
explanation is that both /dZ/ and /z/ occurred and this seems
to be the case in Late Cornish and in toponyms.
If there had been a sound *[dj] the scribes would have devised a
combination of letters  to write it.

Res 'necessity' is indeed written rys and ris. Just as 'given' is
reys, rys, ris and res. <res> is much commoner for 'necessity' than
for 'given'.

There are several problems here. One is that the scribes learnt to
write rys for 'given', but may have said res. As a result there was
confusion between <e> and <i> in long stressed syllables. This is
probably the cause of dith in Tregear. Lhuyd gives dêdh as the only
pronunciation.

My own view is that some words had variant pronunciations, e.g. bys
'world' was eith bi:z or be:z. I do not believe that Middle Cornish
had i: I: and e:. Such a threefold opposition would be unique in
Brythonic and inherently unstable

Nicholas