Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 17:43:14 IST 2008

This true, but <res>, "ford" is often "rys".  The SWF caters for both
but "watercourse" (historically <reys>) is also being spelt <res>,
inviting place-name element confusion.  It is early spellings that help
to differentiate between a ford and a watercourse, but I can't do so in
the SWF.  (You'll find <reys> in names like Race Farm and Roseangrouse,
historically Reysangrous).  Sometimes, like Race Farm, the word is
obviously "watercourse" because the location is at the head of a stream
where a ford would not exist.  Other locations, by the side of stream,
are far more difficult to interpret.  One has to look at the site itself
and decide whether a ford ever did exist there.  Is there an old or
disused lane running through?  Or traces/records of one that has been
grubbed out so that a larger field can be created?  Toponymic research
is a  never-ending task.

Craig