[Spellyans] Introducing Penny Squire

nicholas williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:26:40 IST 2008

The name of the Duke of Cornwall was never either Saxe-Coburg or
Battenberg. Battenburg is a cake.
The surname of the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha was Wettin. The name of
the house
was changed from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor and the surname was
changed from Wettin
  to Windsor in 1917.

The surname of the Duke of Edinburgh was actually Glücksburg, because
his father
was Prince Andrew of Greece, originally of the royal house of Denmark.
The Duke adopted the English form of his mother's surname Battenberg
before he married Princess Elizabeth.

Monarchs and Princes take as surname the name of their domains.
There is nothing either unusual or sinister about it.

Nicholas