[Spellyans] Introducing Penny Squire

Craig Weatherhill weatherhill at freenet.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 19:40:32 IST 2008

Ah, but now we're getting to it, Nicholas.  "Prince of Wales" is a
figurehead title and Wales is the domain of his mother.

"Duke of Cornwall" is the senior title of the two because he is the
quasi-sovereign of Cornwall which is a palatine state extra-territorial
to the English crown.  The Queen has no jurisdiction west of the Tamar's
east bank.  This is all laid out in the successful submission of the
Duchy's Attorney-General, Thomas Pemberton-Leigh in the Duchy v Crown
Foreshore Dispute 1855-59 and presently evident too: Tamar Bridge Act
1998, intestate estates, right of wreck, even sturgeons going to the
Duke not the Queen.  Foreshore and mineral ownership and even the extant
Duchy Charters lay it out quite firmly that no agent of the Crown can
step onto Cornish soil without the express written permission of both
the Duke and Cornwall's legitimate parliament (which was put into a
moribund state by a previous Duke).  So, what are HM Revenue and Customs
doing here?

Not a lot to do with Cornish orthography but an interesting aside.

Craig